Precision Fiber Winding, Spooling and Metrology
Precision winding, spooling and metrology, together have become one of Berkshire’s strongest core competencies. As a very early entrant, Berkshire has ratcheted up their fiber design, selection, winding, measuring and validation capabilities, continuously improving all the value drivers of this Solution area.
Starting with fundamentals: choosing the right fiber design, coating and, dimensions; the ability to precisely measure the “optical” length of a fiber and correlate to the specified delay time; to minimize external perturbations of refractive index, primarily thermally or thermo-mechanically induced; to design packaging and any environmental controls that support the lifetime of the coil. With precision coil metrology, comes the ability to measure and spool fiber and cable in general, a capability that supports all of Berkshire’s fiber and cable products.
- Fiber design and selection; tradeoffs
- Coating materials and dimensions and their environmental and aging behavior; winding tension and environmental stabilization
- Refractive index metrology and its impact on optical length precision and changes over temperature and time
- Novel coatings and miniaturization of coils
- Splicing and termination of sub-125µm cladding singlemode fibers
- Precision winding and tension control
- Adhesive and adhesive-less winding
- Multiple fibers per winding designs
- Thermally insensitive designs and packaging of network elements for delay lines, dispersion compensation and sensing applications.
- Delay line coils
- Discrete, short to very long and concatenated delay solutions
- Thermally insensitive coils
- High temperature coils
- Wide temperature range coils
- Ultra-small, long delay coils
- Small clad/coating coils
- Sensor coils with high thermal sensitivity
- Precision cable winding
- Precision physical and optical length metrology
- Precision length metrology for large core fibers
- Precision length spooling
- Precision fiber winding
- Precision singlemode fiber coils
- Reduced diameter fiber winding, splicing and termination
- Spooled and fully packaged fixed delay lines
- Packaged, multiple delay lines
- Multiple-switched delay lines
- Thermally controlled delay line packaging
- Dispersion Compensation Coils and Modules (DCCs, DCMs)
- Concatenated, switchable network delay elements.
Contact Us at 860-868-0081 to discuss your precision winding requirements – whether for discrete, short sensor coils, custom network delay elements or dispersion compensation and control, Berkshire Engineers Solutions.